Social Media is defined as websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
Social media technologies take on many different forms including blogs, business networks, forums; photo sharing; products & service reviews, social gaming, social networks, video sharing and virtual worlds.
Some of the most popular social media platforms include:
- Facebook is a popular free social networking website that allows registered users to create profiles, upload photos and video, send messages and keep in touch with friends, family and colleagues.
- YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small.
- Instagram is an online mobile photo-sharing, video-sharing, and social networking service that enables its users to take pictures and videos, and share them either publicly or privately on the app, as well as through a variety of other social networking platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Flickr.
- Tumblr is a microblogging platform and social networking website and allows users to post multimedia and other content to a short-form blog
- LinkedIn is a social networking site designed specifically for the business community. The goal of the site is to allow registered members to establish and document networks of people they know and trust professionally.
- Twitter is a free microblogging service that allows registered members to broadcast short posts called tweets. Twitter members can broadcast tweets and follow other users’ tweets by using multiple platforms and devices.
- TripAdvisor offers advice from millions of travellers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools that check hundreds of websites to find great hotel prices.
- Snapchat is a mobile messaging application used to share photos, videos, text, and drawings. It’s free to download the app and free to send messages using it. It has become hugely popular in a very short space of time, especially with young people. There is one feature that makes Snapchat different from other forms of texting and photo sharing: the messages disappear from the recipient’s phone after a few seconds.
- Flickr is a popular photo-sharing and hosting service with advanced and powerful features. It supports an active and engaged community where people share and explore each other’s photos
- Google+ (pronounced Google plus) is Google’s social networking project, designed to replicate the way people interact offline more closely than is the case in other social networking services. The project’s slogan is “Real-life sharing rethought for the web.”
- Wikipedia is a free, open content online encyclopedia created through the collaborative effort of a community of users known as Wikipedians. Anyone registered on the site can create an article for publication; registration is not required to edit articles.
- Reddit is a social news website and forum where stories are socially curated and promoted by site members. The site is composed of hundreds of sub-communities, known as “subreddits.” Each subreddit has a specific topic such as technology, politics or music. Reddit site members, also known as, “redditors,” submit content which is then voted upon by other members. The goal is to send well-regarded stories to the top of the site’s main thread page.
- Pinterest is a social curation website for sharing and categorizing images found online. Pinterest requires brief descriptions but the main focus of the site is visual. Clicking on an image will take you to the original source, so, for example, if you click on a picture of a pair of shoes, you might be taken to a site where you can purchase them. An image of blueberry pancakes might take you to the recipe; a picture of a whimsical birdhouse might take you to the instructions.
Support for Business
Under the Australian Small Business Advisory Service (ASBAS) Gulf Savannah Development Inc. (GSD) is currently delivering advisory services to small business operators or enterprising persons in the shires of Burke, Carpentaria, Croydon, Doomadgee, Etheridge, Mornington, Mareeba, Tablelands and Kowanyama.
One of the five streams included in the program:
Digital Engagement Implementation
Services include mentoring, training and assistance to clients to deliver a productive social media presence, a digital engagement strategy and an online profile that is tailored to meet individual needs. This will include advice and assistance on e-commerce, advice with information technology and broadband service issues, and adopting concepts to assist with marketing, managing and growing ideas.
To register your interest contact the Small Business Support Officer, Annie Cork on email@example.com or phone 0437 029 668.
More information: GSD Australian Small Business Advisory Service